Colloquium on Violence & Religion (COV&R)
Join the hundreds of international scholars and practitioners using
an interdisciplinary, cutting-edge approach to understanding
biblical hermeneutics and the links between violence and religion
COV&R is a dynamic, international association of scholars and practitioners from many disciplines who are dedicated to developing, critiquing, and applying René Girard’s mimetic theory. Here’s who we are, what we do and how you will benefit from membership.
Who We Are
The Colloquium is an international academic association energized by the potential for renewal in the social sciences and humanities made possible by René Girard’s mimetic theory. As scholars and practitioners have applied Girard’s insights about the connection between imitation and violence to religious studies, biblical hermeneutics, philosophy, literature, film studies, sociology and anthropology, economics, psychology, political science exciting discoveries and research avenues have become available.
Members of COV&R have been meeting annually since 1990, both in and outside North America. The annual meeting brings new and longtime scholars of mimetic theory together to discuss how mimetic theory relates to other discourses. This meeting draws between 125 and 200 people, including many non-members.
A Workable Theory of Religion and Violence
As issues of religion and violence beg for analysis and understanding, COV&R is uniquely positioned to make a valuable contribution to the search for new, more useful theoretical frameworks. As a related scholarly organization of the American Academy of Religions, COV&R sponsors and co-sponsors sessions at the AAR Annual Meeting to explore the ongoing salience of mimetic theory and the diverse ways Girard’s thought illuminates themes and issues in the study of religion.
The Colloquium works diligently to support and promote the next generation of scholars with undergraduate and graduate contests, awards and scholarships. Active participation as presenters at the Annual Conference provides a unique opportunity for students to gain experience, receive valuable feedback, and develop relationships with peers and professors outside of their institution.
The annual membership fee of $55 USD includes these valuable benefits:
- Access to conference proceedings, both abstracts and, in many cases, complete papers.
- Books from two series published by Michigan State University Press, Studies in Violence, Mimesis, and Culture and Breakthroughs in Mimetic Theory at no cost (sponsored by Imitatio). This incredible value includes three or four books published each year. Typically one or two books ship in spring and another one or two in fall. Forthcoming books for each season are announced on the website of each series. PLEASE NOTE: Members receive books published in the year their membership begins. Books from previous years can be purchased from the Michigan State University Press website.
- Contagion: Journal of Violence, Mimesis, and Culture, COV&R’s academic journal, published electronically once a year in late spring. When a new volume is published, members will receive an announcement with instructions for how to access it.
- The quarterly COV&R Bulletin filled with the latest news about members, meeting announcements, book reviews and recent bibliographic entries in mimetic theory. Members receive an email notification when each new issue is published.
- Access to the online Membership Directory.
- Journal of Religion and Violence is available at a generous member discount.
To Join or Renew Your Membership
Membership procedures for the American and European branches of COV&R have been consolidated, and COV&R dues payments and renewals are now managed by the Philosophy Documentation Center (PDC). Go to the COV&R Membership Services page on the PDC site to join, renew, or update your membership information.
IMPORTANT: Never miss a mailing or membership benefit! Whitelist this email address and your renewal prompt won’t go to spam: firstname.lastname@example.org
Check your spam folder for confirmation emails on new and renewed memberships from email@example.com.